NAU-Alternative Certification Program is a teacher alternative certification program approved by the Texas State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) and provides affordable teacher certification in Texas.
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Physical Sciences (Grades 8-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Technology Applications (Grades EC-12)
Candidates applying for admission to ACP are required to meet the following criteria:
1. Baccalaureate Degree: The applicant must have a baccalaureate degree earned from and conferred by an institution of higher education that is recognized by one of the regional accrediting agencies. If the applicant earned the baccalaureate degree from a foreign university, the transcript must be evaluated by an accrediting organization recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to prove that it is equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
2. Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA): The candidate must submit an official transcript meet one of the following criteria in order to be eligible to enter the ACP:
- an overall GPA of at least 2.5 or
- a GPA of at least 2.5 in the last 60 semester credit hours; or
- demonstration of achievement equivalent to the academic achievement represented by GPA through the applicant’s work, business, or career experience as evidenced by the applicant. GPA requirement will be granted by the program director only in extraordinary circumstances and will not be used to admit more than 10% of any cohort of candidates.
3.Content Competency: The candidate must demonstrate the content mastery by passing the Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT). The content test must match the content area for the certification sought. No candidate will be admitted until they have passed the content test.
4. Competency in Basic Skills: The candidate must demonstrate basic skills in reading, written communication, and mathematics or by passing the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP) test or the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) with a minimum score of 230 in reading, 230 in mathematics, and 220 in writing. In the alternative, a candidate may demonstrate basic skills by meeting the requirements of the Texas Success Initiative as follows:
- ACT: composite score of 23 or higher with a minimum of 19 on the English and the mathematics sections; or
- SAT: a combined critical reading (formerly “verbal”) and mathematics score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the critical reading and 500 on the mathematics test
5. Oral Communication Skills: Proof of English language proficiency must be provided to the ACP office before an applicant can be considered for admission to the program. English proficiency can be demonstrated in any one of the following ways:
- completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree at an institution of higher education in the United States;
- if an undergraduate or graduate degree was earned at an institution of higher education outside of the United States, evidence must be provided under procedures approved by the executive director that the primary language of instruction was English;
- TOEFL – minimum score: 89 (Speaking 24, Listening 22, Reading 22, Writing 21).
6. Application Form: The candidate must submit a signed application form.
7. Interview: An interview is required as part of the admission process to determine the candidate’s appropriateness for the certification sought.
8. Other Requirements: Candidates applying for a Texas educator certificate must:
- be at least 18 years of age;
- not be disqualified or the subject of a pending proceeding under Chapter 249 of Title 19 of Texas Administrative Code.
- not be disqualified by federal law;
- be willing to support and defend the constitutions of the United States and Texas.
The candidate must complete the following documents and submit to email@example.com
- Application Form
- Official transcripts and copy of diplomas from all colleges or universities attended (degrees from institutions outside of the United States must be documented by an original, course-by-course evaluation from a certified transcript evaluation company),
- Copies of test scores to show competency in basic skills requirement (THEA, SAT, ACT etc), if applicable,
- English language proficiency test scores, if applicable,
- Non-refundable application fee of $50 payable to North American University.
- Upon the receipt of the application documents, an interview will be scheduled.
- Application Fee (non-refundable) – $50
- ACP Only – $4900.00 Includes all tuition and fees
Monthly payment plan is available.
Address: North American University
11929 West Airport Blvd.
Stafford, Texas, 77477
Phone: (832) 230-5545
Fax: (832) 230-5546