Student Employee Q&A

Student Employment Q & A

Who qualifies for student employment?

Any student who maintains full-time status, (12) credit hours undergraduate, (9) credit hours graduate, is eligible for employment. International students, please refer to the international student employment section on specific data on eligibility requirements.

What is the criteria for selecting students for employment?

Availability of work hours, significant work experience and meeting any physical requirements of the position are all criteria in the selection process. These factors being equal, NAU will hire students on a first-come, first- serve basis. Students will reapply every semester for open positions.

How many hours may I work?

You may be scheduled for and work no more than 20 hours a week. During recess periods and the summer you may be scheduled for additional hours.

How does NAU pay me?

After you have completed the required employment paperwork, including tax forms and the 1-9 form, paychecks are distributed on the 15th and last day of the month. Direct deposit is available. Please note: Your earnings as a student employee are considered income and subject to all federal, state and local taxes. While maintaining full-time status, you will be exempt from FICA (Social Security) tax.

As a full-time student, am I exempt from federal income taxes?

“Status as a full-time student does not exempt you from federal income taxes. If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident, the factors that determine whether you owe federal income taxes or must file a federal income tax return include:

  • The amount of your earned and unearned income
  • Whether you can be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return
  • Your filing status, and
  • Your age

If your income is below the amount of the filing requirement for your age, filing status, and dependency status, and no other filing requirement applies, you do not owe federal taxes on your income and you do not have to file a federal income tax return.

Even if you are not required to file an income tax return, you may choose to file a return if you are entitled to a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax, or you are eligible for a refundable credit”.


How much do I get paid?

All student employees will start at the prevailing minimum wage, unless otherwise noted on your supervisors Student Worker Transaction Form (6200-04).